Summer has been reluctant this year, so when the sun does shine, I scramble up to the roof deck for a much-needed dose of vitamin D. The building I live in has outfitted the deck with some patio furniture and grills, and though I mocked the electric grills (the look like open-faced toaster ovens), I succumbed the other day and made turkey burgers for dinner.
GRILLED TURKEY BURGERS with SCALLION GUACAMOLE
Smoked paprika imparts a smoky barbecue flavor on otherwise bland turkey meat. Serve burgers with tortilla chips, hot sauce (such as Valentina brand), and sour cream or mayo.
For the Burgers
1 pound ground turkey
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ small onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
4 hamburger buns
- Combine ground turkey, salt, and pepper in medium bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add smoked paprika and cook until the onions are evenly coated and the paprika is fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer the onion mixture to a bowl and allow it to cool slightly.
- Add onion mixture to the ground turkey and mix just until combined. Divide turkey mixture equally into 4 portions and shape into ¾”- to 1”-thick patties. Make a shallow divot or indenation in the center of each patty.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Cook burgers until nicely charred on each side and cooked through (temperature should register 160˚F on an instant-read thermometer), 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Brush buns with remaining tablespoon oil and grill until warmed through and marks appear, about 2 minutes. Transfer to plates and top with burgers.
For the Scallion Guacamole
Remove the ribs and seeds from the jalapeño if you are sensitive to heat. Pickled jalapeños and a tablespoon or 2 of the pickling brine are a nice substitution (or addition) here.
3 ripe avocados
¼ small onion, finely chopped (about ¼ cup)
1 cup cilantro, chopped
6 scallions, finely chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper
- Split avocados, remove pits, and spoon flesh out into a medium bowl. Add following 6 ingredients and mash coarsely with a fork. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Print This Post