A bit of shameless self-promotion to begin the new year. Clearly my resolution to be more humble has gone out the window along with my promise to wake up at 5:30am and head for the gym (in my defense, I suffered an odd neck spasm that even 12 Advil a day hasn’t completely alleviated).
The proud moment, this lunch lady bit on one of my favorite blogs, Oh Joy!
Click here for the gory details on what this lady lunches on: http://ohjoy.blogs.com/my_weblog/
I’ve unfortunately never gotten around to writing down the recipe for roasted butternut squash and apples seen in the photo, but I think it goes roughly like this:
FALL HARVEST SANDWICH WITH ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH, APPLES, AND STILTON
Equipment: large rimmed baking sheet, foil, serrated knife, vegetable peeler, metal spoon, cooling rack
1 medium butternut squash
2 to 3 firm-fleshed apples, such as Granny Smith or Gala
3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons finely grated zest and 1 tablespoon juice from 2 lemons
Aleppo pepper or red pepper flakes
1 ounces stilton
Crusty bread of your choice
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 425°F. Line large rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- With a serrated knife, trim off about 1 inch from top and bottom of squash. Stand the squash up, and peel with a vegetable peeler. Be sure you’ve removed enough to see the bright orange flesh of the squash.
- Cut the squash where it curves, then cut that rounded piece in half. With a metal spoon, scoop out the seeds and discard.
- Slice squash into ¼-inch slices and arrange in single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Peel, core (a metal 1-teaspoon measure works wonderfully), and cut apples into 8 wedges; add to baking sheet.
- Drizzle squash and apples generously with olive oil, then sprinkle with brown sugar and lemon zest. Season generously with salt and Aleppo pepper to taste. Toss everything together, rubbing with fingers to ensure even seasoning and coating. Arrange in single layer.
- Roast until vegetables are tender and slightly charred, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Transfer baking sheet to cooling rack and cool to room temperature. Adjust seasoning and add lemon juice.
- To assemble sandwich, slice crusty bread, drizzle crumb with olive oil, and toast if desired. Pile bread with squash and apples, crumble Stilton over everything, and tuck in arugula. Enjoy!